The Tough Kid
On-Task in a Box
For Grades: 1–6
Publication Date: 2014
Details: Manual (256 pp), 1 CD of fillable reproducible forms, 1 DVD, 2 MotivAiders, 1 Spinner
Product ID: 063-4
The Tough Kid On-Task in a Box is for kids who lack concentration, are unfocused, or are focused on anything but instruction—another student, a toy, a fly on the wall, or a leaf blower outside. These students fail to pay attention during academic activities. They are our daydreamers—chronically off task and underachieving. Time on task is generally 50–60% or less. So, what to do? The Tough Kid On-Task in a Box employs the following research-based strategies: self-monitoring, self-graphing, and video peer modeling.
Students improved time on task from a baseline average of 32% to 88% after implementing the procedures in On-Task in a Box. At follow-up, students had an average on-task rate of 85% in their regular classrooms.
- Student Referral and Initial Observation
- Work With the Classroom Teacher
- On-Task in a Box Lessons with Video Peer Modeling and Fast-Hands Animation
- Follow-up Observations
It's all in the box!
- Comprehensive step-by-step procedures
- Two MotivAiders (timers that can be set for random intervals)
- A DVD with Peer Modeling and Fast-Hands Animation
- Motivational materials, including a Reward Spinner
- CD of reproducible masters
The Tough Kid On-Task in a Box can be implemented with individual students, buddies, or a whole class.